The title of bank president comes with benefits and expectations in equal measure. At Bradesco, the process of choosing a president is vigorous and well thought. So far, the bank has only had four presidents since it began its operations. The bank is the second largest private bank in Brazil after Itau-Unibanco.
Luiz Carlos Trabuco Cappi took over the Presidency in 2009 from Marcio Cypriano. Unlike in the previous periods, many had speculated his appointment to the position. He began his tenure at a time of when the economy of Brazil was recovering from the recession and the financial markets abroad were experiencing difficulties. Analysts had forecasted that in 2009 the growth in loans would not be as much as in 2008 and 2007 affecting profitability in the sector. Also, growth in branch networks would decline in the year. Despite all these, Luiz Carlos Trabuco Cappi was expected to turn around the bank’s profitability and market position.
Unlike most banking executive, Luiz Carlos Trabuco Cappi majored in Philosophy and Sociopsychology. He is an alumnus of the University of Sao Paulo and the School of Sociology and Politics of Sao Paulo. Luiz Carlos Trabuco Cappi began his career life as a clerk at Bradesco’s Marilia agency. Coincidentally, Marilia is his hometown and the bank’s inaugural branch location. He was transferred to the headquarters in Sao Paulo two years later. Luiz Carlos Trabuco Cappi then ascended to the position of director of marketing in 1984. As the director of marketing, he revamped the bank’s publicity and embraced the media. In 1992, he became the president and Executive Director of the bank’s private pension company. Later in 1999, Luiz Carlos Trabuco Cappi assumed the role of Executive President of Bradesco Seguros the insurance function of the bank. By 2003 he was president of Bradesco Seguros. Luiz Carlos Trabuco Cappi also served on the board of directors between 1999 and 2005. He is set to resume serving on the board.
Luiz Carlos Trabuco Cappi’s excellence at the Bradesco Seguros contributed to his appointment as president in 2009. The insurance unit registered impressive growth and became the top player in the sector in Latin America with a market share of 25%. Its contribution to the total revenues of Bradesco grew by 10% to 35%. As the president, Luiz Carlos Trabuco Cappi purposed to pursue growth strategies, increase efficiencies in operations and improve the internal performance of the company. Most analysts touted acquisitions and mergers as means for Bradesco to close the gap in assets between it and the leading private bank.
As part of a plan to create informed market leaders, promote executives and cultivate a culture of excellence, Luiz Carlos Trabuco Cappi established a Corporate University. The managers and leaders held several meetings that involved brainstorming, planning, and strategizing. He also built a culture of collaboration and reached out to all the other executives in the company. For Luiz Carlos Trabuco Cappi, leadership is not the only goal but also better performance, growth and service delivery.
Even though he had hinted organic growth as the primary strategy, Luiz Carlos Trabuco Cappi led the 5.2 billion dollars acquisition of HSBC Brazil in 2015. By participating in this transaction, the company would achieve growth equivalent to six years of organic growth. The deal also increased Bradesco’s influence in the private banking segment. The deal also increased Bradesco’s net asset value, branch networks, and account holders.
Luiz Carlos Trabuco Cappi’s efforts to increase the banks reach and influence in the market led to his recognition as the Entrepreneur of the Year in Finance by The Money. Luiz is also a two-time recipient of the Insurance Personality of the Year. The soft-spoken Bradesco boss is a father of three.
Search more about Luiz Carlos Trabuco Cappi: http://fotos.estadao.com.br/galerias/cultura,luiz-carlos-trabuco-cappi-e-lucilia-diniz-ofereceram-jantar-em-torno-do-prefeito-joao-doria-e-sua-mulher-bia-nos-jardins,30901